Tuesday, August 29, 2006

No pain, no gain!

I never had a letdown pain with the new baby. I think it's because letdown pains are caused by the unused milk ducts dilating, like pins and needles are caused by blood returning to parts of the body you've been leaning on.

This baby's latch corrected the lipstick nipple I had from Toddler's poor latch mid-pregnancy when my supply vanished.

There are two places hereabouts where I will soon be in a position to help improve breastfeeding services. First, the midwifery department at the local hospital has invited mothers to provide constructive criticism at a series of meetings; I have emailed the head of midwifery to express interest.

Second, the health visitors, in association with The Breastfeeding Network, are starting a breastfeeding support group / antenatal class. The idea is to let pregnant women and new mothers meet experienced breastfeeders - just ordinary mothers - so that they can see a feed in progress, chat about what breastfeeding is really like, etc. Both are good fora for me to warn women about the anti-breastfeeding attitude in hospitals (breastfeeding "help" in hospital is often actually damaging to the breastfeeding relationship, and even more often murder to a mother's confidence).

No comments: