Friday, September 15, 2006

Almost ashamed

I fed Baby today, walking along in a hurry to get the bus, pushing the buggy with my other hand. (Incidentally, Lilypadz are very easy to use - hold baby up in one arm, use that hand to push buggy, use other hand to raise shirt and adjust bra and remove Lilypad, latch baby on, adjust arms for more comfortable buggy-pushing).

I refused to feed Toddler in public, though. I am a bad lactivist. I just couldn't handle it. We had a hard day; Dad was too tired to be helpful, Mum and Toddler were hungry because the packed lunch turned out to be a bad idea, Baby was a Baby. Feeding would have helped Toddler a lot but when she asked we were on a standard width footpath/pavement/sidewalk/insert your dialect here, and there was nowhere to sit other than in the dust at the side of the road. Which is where I sat when she sat down and refused to be moved, but that wasn't for feeding purposes.

So I am quite happy to feed Baby in public, indiscreetly (she can't latch on discreetly, she doesn't know how) and I can't bring myself to feed Toddler in public unless we have somewhere comfy to sit and can be vaguely discreet - I don't mind it being obvious that I'm feeding, but I'm more comfortable showing flesh when I feed Baby than when I feed Toddler.

Sometimes I'm glad I know nothing about psychology. I don't want to know what's under all this.

No comments: